Located in the Marataba section of the Malaria-free Big 5 Marakele National Park, Marataba Trails Lodge is the latest addition to our Portfolio. It was designed and created for seasoned hikers who are looking for diverse and challenging trails in a spectacularly beautiful big 5 private reserve where a rich abundance of wildlife roams free.
When asked why MORE moved in this direction, said Robert More (Co-Founder and CEO), “Having watched the market closely over the last ten years, we have noticed a number of trends influencing the scope of luxury travel. First is the increase in demand for unique and extraordinary experiences that are authentic and uncontrived. Second is a movement towards healthy living. People are more physically active, conscious about what they eat, and attracted to the simple pleasures of good sleep, unpolluted air and zoning out every once in a while to connect with self. Finally, we have seen how many of our well-heeled international guests yearn to disconnect from the grid of communication for a proper ‘digital detox’. The Marataba Trails Lodge is our interpretation of this evolution in the luxury market.”
Our vision with Marataba Trails Lodge is to offer something that goes beyond what you would see in a brochure, where guests leave feeling immeasurably better about, and within themselves. Our aim is to build a family of repeat visitors, who see the Marataba experience as a necessity to their wellbeing, and not just a luxury. Here luxury is in the experience of intense walks on ground as old as The Stone Age. Add to that the privacy afforded by the mountains, the ample view of the valleys and unpolluted skies, the clear cold streams of mountain water for refreshment, the healthy delicious food prepared by impressively skilled hands in-the-moment, the highly personal service delivered by a team of hand-selected experts in the art of hospitality, and an unparalleled home base where every comfort is met. That all makes for a very powerful combination.
What makes us MORE:
- The only deluxe Big Five Hiking Trail in a Malaria-free reserve in South Africa
- Hiking trails make use of different areas of the reserve, ensuring a variety of experiences
- The Marakele Reserve is unique in respect of topography, flora and fauna
- These are true wilderness trails, with no sign of civilization
- An off-the-grid, fully solar powered lodge
- Open plan lounge, dining and living space were designed to enhance the spectacular natural environment and spectacular views
- 5 Luxurious Eco-Suites allow for a maximum capacity of just 8 people in this vast and beautiful wilderness
- Those looking for a digital detox will find it here. There is no cellular reception, but there is Wi-Fi in the main lodge area)
- Marataba is easily accessible, and is an easy drive, just 3.5 hours from Johannesburg