Madikwe Game Reserve is a 75 000 hectare malaria-free reserve located northwest of Johannesburg (an easy four hour drive) along the Botswana border. Everything about this place is vast – its landscapes, its heavens, its wildlife. This is rugged Africa, and then some!
The rich and undulating landscape is punctuated by enormous volcanic intrusions (known as Inselbergs) and the unique topography reveals astonishing wildlife sightings. Madikwe’s animal population includes lion, leopard, elephant, rhino, buffalo, cheetah, spotted hyena, giraffe, antelope and the endangered Cape hunting dog. In excess of 300 resident and migrant bird species tint the ample skies.
Whether you are after a family getaway, solitude or companionship, romance or adventure, activity or leisure – our team cannot wait to welcome you.
What makes us MORE:
- Madikwe is a Malaria-Free Reserve. There is therefore no need for anti-Malarial prophylaxis. Perfect for families with younger kids!
- The reserve is like nothing else in Africa. Its rich red soil, vast open savannahs and rugged “koppies” (hills) make it a standalone and recognisable destination.
- This is the most family friendly of the MORE properties. We have designed an incredible kids’ programme, which will keep the younger ones entertained while parents enjoy a little R ‘n R
- The ECO HOUSE is an educational (and entertainment) centre built specifically for kids – and anyone with a fascination for the wild world and its inhabitants
- Three unique luxury lodges are each distinctive in their own right and will appeal to different types of travellers
- Very easily accessible, just 45 minutes from Johannesburg by air and an easy four hour drive
- Open traversing over 75000 hectares ensures a rich Big Five game viewing experience