Marataba is a malaria-free 23,000 hectare private concession within the Big 5 Marakele National Park (Limpopo, South Africa). Just four hours from Johannesburg, this is a sanctuary where busy people can find themselves again by connecting with nature. We were rendered breathless by the dramatic Waterberg mountains, vast plains, rich animal diversity and winding rivers cutting through the landscape of the Marakele National Park.
Rich red mountain rock meets lush green plains (where you will find yellowwood and cedar trees, 5m high cycads and tree ferns). All of the large game species from elephant and rhino to the big cats, as well as an amazing variety of birds (including the largest colony of endangered Cape vultures in the world, with more than 800 breeding pairs) have settled here.
What makes us MORE:
- Nowhere else in Africa do you find such a magnificent landscape. Mountains meet plains, and vast waterways cut their way across the undulating terrain.
- Only Marataba Safari Lodge and Marataba Trails Lodge share 27000 hectares of pristine natural ground, promising a highly personal and exclusive private safari experience.
- The Marakele National Park holds a truly immense variety of mammals that are readily seen. Home to the second largest Cape Vulture colony (numbering between 600 and 800 pairs), the mountains are also a safe haven to a number of interesting and unique plant, mammal and bird species.
- Two Lodges each have a very unique appeal. Marataba Safari Lodge offers accommodation in 15 Luxury Tented Suites, suitable for the whole family. Marataba Mountain Lodge is an exclusive mountain retreat in just 5 Eco Suites for guests of 16 and older.
- The safari experience is not only on ‘terra firma’. Guests are able to enjoy a water safari on board Miss Mara.
- Marataba Trails Experience is a specialised walking trail for seasoned hikers – it is the only experience of its kind in a Big 5 reserve.