A number of hikes are available including Riverine, Gorge, Mountain and Special Interest Trails.
These trails descend into the gorges of the Waterberg Mountains. Here walkers will traverse into unchartered areas of the reserve only accessible by foot. There may even be an opportunity to have a swim in one of the fresh water pools!
These trails follow the natural river course, and are great for ‘bumping’ into general game. Walkers will traverse to some of the bigger waterholes which attract a number of animal species, including hippo.
SPECIAL INTEREST TRAILS
There is significant history to this the reserve, and these trails will offer walkers the opportunity to see cave paintings, iron age ruins and other relics of The Stone Age.
A TYPICAL FULL DAY AT MARATABA TRAILS LODGE
- There will be an early start to the day prior to meeting in the main lodge for a coffee and pre-trail snack. This early trail will be the longer (3-4 hours) of the two trails of the day. Trail options will be discussed and agreed to the night before. A mid-walk refreshment break will be offered at one of the stunning view or points of interest.
- On return to the lodge a sumptuous, healthy breakfast will be served before walkers get the chance to relax, read, snooze, sketch, paint and just be at one in the camp. They can even avail themselves of a complimentary foot & hand massage!
- A light lunch will be served at the lodge before a recommended afternoon nap!
- The shorter afternoon walking trail starts after a snack – these walks include water holes with hippos, vantage points and short gorge walks.
- On return to camp, a special sundowner is offered prior to heading to an interactive experience in the BOMA where guests will learn about the intricacies of cooking “bush style”
- After dinner there are stories around the fire – including local legends, traditional tribes of the region and astronomy.
In winter one of the two full days will be swopped around with a lie in, later breakfast, followed by one long walk and a picnic, returning to camp mid afternoon for some R&R.
- Guests will have the option of heading out on a short two hour trail or having a relaxing lie in. The trail taken will be of a gentle nature so as to let the guests “take it easy” before their onward travels
- A final “Trails Breakfast” will then be served at the lodge.
- A chance to freshen up, pack up and take in the incredible views for one last time
- Guests will then be transferred by their guides back to Marataba Safari Lodge for onward travel, arriving back at the lodge at 11:30